November 25, 2011

The Green Lantern Doesn't Shine

Due to the high cost of movie tickets these days, the majority of the time I wait to catch films when they make it to DVD and are subsequently available via Netflix.  Today I was excited to see that The Green Lantern had made its way to my mailbox. I hadn't heard much about the film, so I didn't have any pre-existing expectations towards it, but I am a fan of the superhero genre so I was looking forward to seeing how they managed to pull off the latest DC comic. 

The whole film can be summed up into three words: amazing special effects...but after that there's nothing much more to the movie.

The romance between the main characters is bland and not the least bit steamy or romantic.  It was one of those few films where I could really care less if the guy got the girl, and if you're going to have a girl for the lead guy you would think you'd want the audience cheering them on.  It's a superhero movie, so of course there has to be a girl, but the writers could of at least written in a more substantial plot line.  Though, that may be a bit harsh, considering that the romantic side of the story was right in line with the entire script.

The superhero's nemisis, Hector Hammond, was one of the worst developed evil masterminds I've seen.  Besides wanting the good guy's girl and being a major disappointment to his father I didn't really see what made him evil.  If anything he was easier to relate to.  Hot guy who has everything but still screws up compared to geeky guy who can't get his life on track: personally I can relate more to the latter.  In what kind of super hero film do you relate more to the nemesis?  

As a popular romantic comedy actor Ryan Reynolds was able to pull off the few comedic lines that he had and the addition of more could have helped the movie out a bit.  The best moments in the film came with the side-kick best friend, and it was a bit of a let down that he was only in a handful of scenes. If only every piece of witty humor was not already shown in the trailer...



It also wouldn't be the first time humor has been used to cover up how bad someone's acting is.  Blake Lively can't act in Gossip Girl, so who in the casting department thought she would ever be able to act in a blockbuster film? 

My biggest concern with the film before I pressed play on the DVD was that Reynolds wouldn't be able to pull off a superhero, and despite everything I think he did pretty well compared to what was given to him.  He at least was believable as the Green Lantern. 

Even the incredible special effects put into the movie could not overcome the poor acting mixed with horrible plot lines.  The film was definitely one of the worst superhero films I've seen to date.  If you're into special effects it's definitely worth checking out, but don't expect a half-decent storyline to accompany it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment